Mollywogger

"If television's a babysitter, the internet's a drunk librarian who won't shut up."

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Introductions

So I have started another blog.

My husband and I have a G-rated, benign, unpolitical, non-offensive blog that we update for friends and family. It was a creative challenge to come up with things to post after, say, last month's presidential election without alienating people that I'll need to see at holiday gatherings for the rest of my life. Creative challenge or not, it feels thoroughly scrubbed. With bleach. A Stepford Wife's blog.

One day about 3 months ago, while aimlessly surfing online, I somehow happened upon Julia's blog. In it, Julia, a writer, tells about her and her husband's many-year quest to conceive a child and maintain a pregnancy to term. Her story was full of heartbreak and, since she is now in a pregnancy that is going well, great joy. She is amazing. On her site, there were links to all sorts of other women, equally amazing, that are suffering from/have suffered from infertility and have had the guts to post their stories online.

Some of these women write with breathtaking wit and hilariously sharp humor (Julia [yes, another one], Grrl, Julie, and especially Jo), some are the strongest women I have ever (well, let's face it) never met, but would love to (Cecily, Tertia). Over the past three months of reading these women's stories, I feel I know them so well. I look forward to their daily posts, and I feel such great joy when things are going right and such sorrow when tragedy hits. I think of them every day, many times a day, and I admire them so much.

Now. I'm 25 years old, I've been married about 2 and a half years, and my husband and I have not yet started trying to conceive. When I mention to other people (my husband, my office mates [to explain why I have just audibly gasped at work], my sister, etc.) that I am reading the blogs of women suffering from infertility, I get some of the weirdest, most baffled looks I've ever seen. I have no way to explain how much I look forward to checking their blogs, and how close I feel to these women. I certainly can't post it on my blog (can't you just see it? My dad drops by for my weekly update to find, "Good news! Grrl's gestational surrogate is pregnant! The embryo implanted!"). So, I've started my own, in honor of the support that I see within the women in the infertility blogging committee. You ladies are truly an inspiration.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aw, what sweet things to say to the likes of us!

    Glad to see you have your own honest blog. V v v important to have, as Tertia would say...

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oops, that last post was from me.

    Cecily

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Blogger Mollywogger said...

    I got a post from Cecily!

    I'm fucking famous!!

     
  • At 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Isn't amazing how strong and beautiful all those women are? I have been trying to have a baby for about a year now, and while I am not doing IVF (I am on IUI#3), it is comforting to know there are people out there who understand the heartache that I am feeling. I wish you good luck when you decide to start your own family, and I look forward to getting to know you!

    Angela

     
  • At 2:56 AM , Blogger Nico said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:01 AM , Blogger Nico said...

    Sorry, I have multiple blogger identities, and meant to post with this one instead :-) oops! (The other is for my saccharine family blog). Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I just found your blog from Ms Pru's, and am looking forward to reading through it.

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Tertia said...

    Welcome to the big bad world of blogging ;-)

    Txx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home